Saturday, September 22, 2018

Overcoming Selfishness

"This Is Water" by David Foster Wallace got me thinking about myself more than anything else. I have always thought of myself as a genuine and caring person, and I still do, but reading "This Is Water" has taught me that I am not perfect. That I have some subconscious selfish tendencies as well.  Wallace mentions that people subconsciously think that they are the "absolute center of the universe" and that humans have a "natural, basic self-centeredness … hardwired into our boards at birth". On the other hand, Wallace also mentions towards the end of his speech that anyone can change towards being an empathetic and caring person if he or she puts a conscious effort towards achieving it. And that is what I am going to do.

For example, I've always dreamed of owning an expensive supercar in the future. Is that selfish? Some people may argue that I can do whatever I want with my money, but is it the right thing to do? The same money could feed thousands of starving children for weeks, maybe months. It could provide shelter for homeless families across the United States. It could support people devastated by hurricanes and floods. Hundreds of thousands of dollars could go into an unnecessarily intricate vehicle that has the same primary purpose as a Ford Focus. Or, the same money could save millions by creating grocery stores in food deserts*, or by funding cancer research. 

That being said, my love for cars isn't going anywhere, but I definitely need to rethink my dream of buying one...

Where should it go?


*Read more about Food Deserts and how severe they are in the United States by clicking here and here

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greed and selfishness can be extremely similar in some cases. The money you use to buy an extremely expensive car could be used in so many different ways to help less fortunate people, but in the end you are the one who earned the money. I don't believe you should feel guilty about something you've earned and dreamed of owning. We should be aware of how much we care about others, but don't let this awareness stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A personal anecdote from your own life really brought this blog to life! I think you brought up a fair point regarding tendencies we all carry, which brings up an important question about our own morals: who we truly are vs. who we and others think we are. In my personal opinion I believe if you worked for your money, nothing should stop you from fulfilling your own desires, as that is a big portion of life. But I can see the other side saying that it is inherently selfish to do this sort of action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philanthropy is a great thing but if it prevents you from enjoying your own life, it should be set aside. I understood Wallace's speech as calling for people to be more understanding and empathetic. That doesn't mean giving up your money. As long as you don't go around living like a cynic, it's okay to think about #1 (yourself).

    ReplyDelete