The three works of literature that we read this week are actually very similar to each other. The only main difference was the level of intensity that the authors used to get their points across. At the top of The Ladder of Intensity, is, undoubtedly, "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience" by Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau's intensity shows in his writing because he is very direct with the reader. However, the main distinction that makes Thoreau stand out from the other two, aside from his radical tone and views, is that he proposes a call to action: "I say, break the law. Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine" (Thoreau).
As we climb down The Ladder of Intensity, we come across "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" by Sarah Vowell. Vowell's work is under Thoreau's on The Ladder because she connects more with the reader on a personal level. By seeing stories of Vowell's personal experiences, the reader can properly understand her views and where they come from. The sarcasm and humor sprinkled throughout the essay also adds to casual mood. While this is true, "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" is still close to "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience" on the ladder because Vowell still displays strong opinions about the US Government.
At the bottom of The Ladder of Intensity is "The History Teacher" by Billy Collins. Although Collins's poem poses a significant question, the tone of the poem itself is very casual and simple. By using children as a focus of the poem, Collins is integrating innocence with the complicated question of censorship and authority.
This idea of a hierarchy of intensity is seen in many places other than in literature -- especially in cars. The purpose of a car is to simply take a person from point A to point B, yet that car could be anything from a Pagani Huayra to a Honda Civic; it depends on the person. This concept of varying levels of cars makes everyone happy since there will always be a car somewhere that one likes. Similarly, out of the three works of literature that we read, I personally found "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" more effective than the others because I could relate with Vowell, I enjoyed her sarcasm, and she had the perfect level of intensity.

I found it very unique how you combined the three works of literature we read this week and used a metaphor of a ladder to show a form of relation between the pieces mentioned. It was also interesting to see how you linked it back up to the main theme of your blog- cars.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you used a ladder to describe the levels of the three passages. It's really neat how you incorporated all three of them in one blog. Also, keep up the car theme, it's really cool how you relate a car to something every blog!
ReplyDeleteI find it very interesting that you found "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" the most effective of the three. I also like how you made a graphic of the "ladder" of increasing intensity, and I agree with it. The funny thing about a ladder is that the further you get up the ladder, the less safe you are. It is easier for the ladder to tip and fall the higher you get. I feel this metaphor is still accurate with the three works. "Civil Disobedience" was the riskiest, and that is why I would have considered his to be the most effective, even though I do not agree with everything that the author says. The author took the risk, and it paid off, since years later we are still analyzing it.
ReplyDeleteNice job Sameep! This week's reading definitely had different levels of intensity so great job capturing one of the major themes! I agree with the three levels and the places you put every article. I especially like how you put the levels of intensity on a ladder and how you compared "Civil Disobedience" to a Pagani Huayra and "History Teacher" to a Honda Civic. However, I'm not happy by you indirectly stating that Honda Civic sucks as my mom drives one!!!! :((( (Jk Sameep your the best)
ReplyDeleteThe previous comment was mine (Eric Chen)
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed seeing how you ordered the intensity of the three passages in your graphic. I happened to be sick for the majority of the week and didn't get to be in any discussions about the articles. It was interesting to see your opinion. I also liked how you tied it in to your car theme at the end. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis blog is very well written and it has changed the way I view literature. However, I disagree with one of your rankings. I think that "The History Teacher" should be ranked above "The Partly Cloudy Patriot". Billy Collins expressed his view through a poem, every line in a poem has way more importance than any one line in Sarah Vowell's piece.
ReplyDelete