Saturday, October 27, 2018

Uncle LeBron Wants YOU For U.S. Army




This is my masterpiece called Uncle LeBron, inspired by The Chancellor Séguier on Horseback by Kehinde Wiley. In our textbook, it is mentioned that Wiley "seeks out average African American men", tells them to "strike a pose", and then he uses these men to create his own take on historical paintings (pg 563). I chose to replicate Wiley's style because it is simple yet meaningful at the same time.

The original painting was a famous WWI poster created by James Montgomery Flagg. The man depicted in the original painting is Uncle Sam, a personification of the US government. Uncle Sam had a huge influence on the US at the time, as he was used, especially in this poster, as war propaganda to recruit soldiers for the war.

In a similar way, LeBron James has a huge influence on the US today. Granted, he is not trying to recruit people for war, but he can still convince people to do things through social media or advertisements. Additionally, I also chose a famous African American to replace Uncle Sam because  the stereotypical image of white superiority from the early 1900s is not nearly as prevalent as it used to be.

Please let me know what else this image could symbolize in comments section below. I would love to hear what everyone has to say!

6 comments:

  1. I like your representation of LeBron James as Uncle Sam. James is probably one of the most popular African Americans in the world and is probably as or more influential than Uncle Sam was. This is a really good example just like the one we discussed in class and it really helps us gain better insight in what African Americans want to be seen as. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your take on Wiley's painting and how you went on to create your own. I found your version quite funny, but it also had a good deeper meaning behind it which you explained very well in your post. I feel like the picture could also symbolize how if America went to war again, they might use an influential figure like Lebron to recruit new soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just a glorious poster. It's interesting to see how you related a white american figure to a popular black basketball player just like the two paintings we analyzed in class. It shows us how people like LeBron James have an incredible amount of influence in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sameep,
    This weeks blog post of yours was very creative and I could see the time and effort you put into making the graphic. Your graphics always add another layer of interest for me and I found it very interesting how you related it to our class discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The face of LeBron emphasizes the black subculture prevalent in today's white youth, while the white hand signifies the controlling power of the government. Using the body of Uncle Sam highlights the nationalism rampant in America. This is a masterpiece!! Might even be your Magnum Opus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lebron James may not be a war recruiter but he's definitely a recruiter for basketball teams in the NBA. Anywhere he goes, other players follow him. That's why he's the best basketball player to ever play. Also, I love your masterpiece and I'm sure you put a significant amount of time and effort into it!

    ReplyDelete