Sunday, November 11, 2018

Yellow Car!



"Yellow Car!"
*punch*
"OW"
"HEhe"
"Where? I don't see it"
"Look left, it's actually a really nice yellow car"
"Oh wow that's a yellow Rolls-Royce Phantom"
"Yeah, must be someone really rich"



The first thing that comes to mind when I see a flashy, expensive car is "the owner must be so rich". Obviously, only an affluent person has the resources to purchase a mighty Rolls-Royce, but why choose such a pretentious color? Bright, shiny, in-your-face yellow; Maybe it matches the design of the car well. Maybe the owner wants to prove that he owns the roads by showing off to the world that he has something that 95% of the world cannot afford. Maybe, however, the owner is the Great Gatsby and he is, instead of amusing himself, trying to reach an old friend to bridge his gap of loneliness.

Just like his massive house and excessive parties, Gatsby's car is a symbol that represents him perfectly: a rich but honest man with a simple goal of winning Daisy. His bright yellow Rolls-Royce is just another tool that he uses to find Daisy. As the story progresses, the reader realizes that although Gatsby has many unnecessary items, he is actually a morally just person unlike Daisy and Tom. Daisy, for example, takes Gatsby’s car to murder Myrtle. This is just one example of where Gatsby’s pure intentions are being used by inconsiderate people like Daisy. Nick was correct, “Gatsby turned out all right at the end.”

Gatsby's yellow Rolls-Royce


What do you think about Gatsby’s yellow Rolls-Royce?
Leave your thoughts in the comments section below!


3 comments:

  1. I like the way you introduced the idea of the wealthy with cars and how these materialistic items symbolize us as human beings. Although you can look at someones car and make inferences about them, you really don't know what their true intentions are. It was also great that you brought up Gatsby's intentions which just exemplifies why we cannot judge people. Nice Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, yellow is one of my least favorite colors. I think it's too bright, but like you said the color he chooses is just a tool that he uses to get with Daisy. Cars are a facade usually used to stereotype people. Rich people with prestigious cars can be snobby and annoying, but Gatsby intentions were pure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sameep, great post! I liked how you mentioned that the way Gatsby was perceived became twisted due to outside influences like Daisy. It makes us question what wealthy people like Tom and Daisy did to Gatsby to affect him in certain ways. I also found it interesting how you labeled Gatsby's desire to be with Daisy as "a simple goal". I talked about the differences between goals and dreams in my blog post and I actually said that Gatsby's desire was more of a dream than a goal. I think it's cool how we both characterized the same idea in a different ways with our own reasoning. Anyways, I really enjoyed your blog post!

    ReplyDelete